Surviving Keto Flu: 48 Hours Into Low Carb Flu Hell

Give me some love!

Yesterday I talked about the first day of my personal keto flu experience. Today, I’m going to describe day two and give some tips and tricks for curing it. I read that some people can suffer for more than a week! Yuck. Luckily for me, things seem to be improving after just two days! So, How did day two of keto flu go for me? Read on to find out! If you’d like to read about day one, click HERE.

Keto Flu
Keto Flu

Note: this post contains affiliate links. When you make a purchase, I receive a small commission. See my disclosure HERE.

Keto Flu: Day Two

Monday was tough; I’m not going to lie. I WANT SUGAR. I thought about calling out to work and I haven’t missed a day of work since I had pneumonia. So, hopefully that gives you some scope as to how poorly I felt. Luckily, it was a slow day at work. My brain fog was so bad that I don’t think I could’ve handled a busy day. In addition to brain fog, I had severe nausea, no appetite, extreme fatigue, and painful body aches. It truly felt like the onset of a terrible cold or flu.

I forced myself to eat part of my lunch (which didn’t help) and I have little recollection of the entire work day. Afterwards, I went for a 15-20 minute walk outside and did feel a little better for it. Additionally, I tried to drink as much water as I could stomach and took some Tylenol for the body aches. Unfortunately, I still felt awful. By the end of the work day, I was questioning my sanity for attempting a ketogenic diet.

The Turning Point

After work, Allen’s mom kept the baby because I had an appointment for a mani/pedi. I felt so awful that I seriously considered canceling! However, upon realizing I might not have another opportunity to go before our vacation, I decided to “tough it out.” I am so grateful I kept that appointment because that was definitely the turning point for me.

At first, the smell of acetone coupled with the mindless banter of well-coiffed society ladies kind of made my nausea worse. Luckily, I got my favorite guy (and backup husband… joke) and he *really* got into the massage part on my legs. I kept making oohs and ahhs and telling him how good it felt so he kept going on my calves. My calves had been cramping badly and It felt so good that I nearly forgot how miserable the past 48 hours had been. I made sure to leave him a great tip for that (nearly climactic) experience.

On The Mend

After my mani/pedi, Allen’s mom had dinner ready for me (glorious angel!) and my appetite was slightly improved. I ate a few bites of pork loin (slathered in butter and cheese…. lol) a hefty helping of mayo coleslaw drenched in salt, and a smallish serving of her picnic beans. I thought maybe eating some healthier carbs (read: not cake) would help. I had eaten virtually no carbs all day so I felt like I could afford the 20-30(ish) grams in the small serving. After dinner, I began to feel like a member of humanity again.

Possibly the best thing I did to improve my situation was to take a long, hot bath in my Dr. Teals Detox Epsom Salt Soak which helps boost magnesium levels because we absorb magnesium through our skin really well!

After my bath, and getting the baby to bed, I had about 45 minutes of quiet time to myself. I made sure to take my vitamins and also ate about a serving of dark chocolate since it does have some potassium in it.

THIS is the dark chocolate I usually buy. I choose the darkest chocolate I can find because it has less sugar and more fiber. You can eat nearly half this bar (which I can’t even do most days) for only about 10 net carbs! It also has potassium and magnesium! Medicinal chocolate? Count me in!

Winding Down

I decided to end my day with some gentle yoga. I was scheduled for kettle bell arms/back day but didn’t feel up to an intense workout. I am glad I listened to my body because after my yoga, I felt great! I made certain to drink a lot of water afterwards. Between the massage, the detox bath, and the yoga, I knew that I needed the extra water to help get the toxins out. By bedtime, I knew that I had without a doubt reached the turnaround point in my keto flu.

This morning I woke up feeling *almost* normal! My appetite hasn’t returned and I still have a dull headache but the worst of the symptoms are gone. I think had I taken the right action on Sunday, yesterday wouldn’t have been as bad. I still don’t feel the promised benefits of mental acuity, increased energy and appetite suppression. OK, I feel the appetite suppression but only because nausea….

Thank GOD that experience is almost behind me! Hopefully tomorrow I will report feeling excellent, energetic, and sharp. I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes.


As always, thank you for reading. I hope you have a beautiful and blessed day!



Leave a Reply